Awesome to see you visit our blog.
When agreeing to serve on a board of a community scheme consider that this is the same as if you were serving on any board of any business entity. So often do members of an association serving a residential community agree to serve without considering the knowledge, skills, and experience that you will need to perform this role.
It is not necessary to attend long drawn-out training programs in order to grasp the knowledge you need, but it is necessary that you equip yourself with the basic requirements that you will need in order to fulfill your fiduciary responsibility. Here are the reasons why you should register to the recently launched online director and trustee induction programme developed by the Association of Residential Communities
1. As a director or a trustee, you will be faced with many decisions that you will need to take and participate in. Legislation requires that one becomes fully informed and acquires the necessary knowledge to assist when making such decisions, those decisions that will impact on the community as a whole. Making important decisions especially where the spending of funds is necessary is a requirement of the” job” and the online induction programme deals with these requirements.
2. Ensuring good governance and meeting all best practice guidelines is fundamental within your role as a director or trustee of a Community Association or body corporate. When members of your community scheme elect you as a director or trustee, they will expect that you are familiar with industry except its standards and norms. The director and trustee induction program deals with this important aspect.
3. You know role as a director or trustee is one of setting strategy for the community scheme and being equipped to ensure that members of the management team are skilled to implement all elements of that strategy. Being on hand to provide guidance to your community manager or managing agent requires a high level of dedication passion and support. So, while you may perform this role as a volunteer on a part time basis, the strategy that the board develops needs to be implemented monitored and reported on to the very members that elected you
4. Members of a community scheme have become much more aware of their rights as homeowners or tenants, and all too often you will find, within your community scheme groupings of residents that will “watch your every move” so to speak. Hence the necessity to equip yourself with the basic requirements of serving the community in which you live.
5. Whether your scheme is a nonprofit company, a common law association, or a sectional title scheme, there is legislation that you would need to familiarize yourself with. This includes the Companies Act, the sectional title schemes management act, the community schemes ombuds service act and the protection of personal Information Act, all of which are covered fairly extensively in the induction programme.
The Association of Residential Communities has vast experience in the roles of directors and trustees and for that reason has developed this five-hour, modular based induction program that is available online where busy directors and trustees can go through the programme in their own time, at their own pace as often as you would like. Integral to the programme are live online sessions where we provide support and clarity on any issues covering your role as a director or trustee.
While a body corporate is not deemed a business in the sense that its goal is to make money, it is important that a body corporate is run with sound business principles in mind.
In today’s economic environment, the reality is, some homeowners who’ve bought their homes on credit and are experiencing considerable financial pressure, simply cannot make their mortgage repayments.
Private Property takes a look at the most in-demand suburbs in Pretoria and what you can expect to pay for property in them. Pretoria has been growing in popularity among buyers...
As a parent you are the first and most important role model for your kids. The best way to raise money-smart kids is to be money smart yourself and to be able to explore the topic on money more easily with your kids.
There are many different types of bees, and the solitary bee is probably the friendliest helper in the garden. They’re different to honey bees although they look so similar you might not notice a difference.
When agreeing to serve on a board of a community scheme consider that this is the same as if you were serving on any board of any business entity.
A trustees appointment is one of the most important decisions a body corporate makes every year but unfortunately, many elected trustees are unaware of the extent of their roles and responsibilities.
For trustees that want to create a harmonious and co-operative atmosphere in their schemes, the most important thing to do is ensure that they have a set of Conduct Rules that are modern, clear and specific
Estates offer families the opportunity to ‘live, work, and play’ in a single space, which has led to a demand for practical schooling solutions in or close to estates. But schools take up a lot of space...
One of the downsides of being on the HOA board is having to issue warnings and fines for breaking association rules. Board members don’t like sending notices, and homeowners don’t like receiving them.
Knowledge of labour law is essential when managing employees who might have a notifiable disease. Employers – including HOAs – must provide a safe workplace, even if that means insisting on disease tests for employees.
Cipla’s Associate Director, Wouter Lombard explains that depression is a medical condition that can be diagnosed and treated. “It is believed that around 50% of individuals with depression do not receive treatment."
When we talk of semigration now, we are no longer just talking about the familiar pattern of movement from Gauteng to Cape Town, but about the worldwide counter-urbanisation or de-urbanisation movement.
Women are reportedly the largest group of property buyers in South Africa today. They are, however, underrepresented and largely unacknowledged and unheard in the property sphere, according to specialist sectional titl
Ensuring that your compact home reflects your personality, setting it apart from other houses, and simultaneously creating a restful sanctuary is a challenge. But there is a solution.
You’re sitting in your backyard on a hot day, surrounded by a fence and invisible to your neighbours in your Estate. You decide to take a skinny dip, when suddenly you notice a buzzing sound. A drone is filming you.
Of the various disputes dealt with in sectional title schemes, it could possibly be said that those involving pets is high, and it’s possibly for this reason that the rules dealing with pets is at the top of the list.
According to Insight Survey’s South African Pet Care Industry Landscape Report, pets are increasingly being treated as part of the family, with owners spending more and aligning their pet’s lifestyle with their own
Is your ADHD child struggling to make friends in your estate or complex? Think about getting them a dog. It can help whether it’s low self-esteem or problems relating to others at school and at home.
Andrew Schaefer, says community housing schemes have until 30 June 2021 to make sure their record-keeping systems and those handling their agents are in accordance with the POPI Act
When tenants complain to the body corporate about the incredibly noisy and disruptive neighbours living in the apartment next door, they are often told to take the matter up with their landlord.
In the #BestOfCommunity series, Jeff Gilmour of ARC and Louise Martin of Estate Living look into community living spaces in South Africa. In the 2nd episode they discuss the importance of rules.
The vast majority of complaints I get about the management of sectional title schemes, are from owners who claim that their scheme’s managing agent and/or trustees are in some way failing in their duties.
There is a lot of confusion as to who may be liable for the cost of repairs. In many cases, landlords unfairly hold the tenants liable when it is in fact the landlord’s responsibility as the property owner.
It is surprising how many times I've come across homes standing wide open or idling luxury cars in driveways with the doors standing open and the driver taking their time inside fetching one last item. Are you at risk?
Most would agree that one of the most important characteristics of a well-run homeowners association is its ability to disseminate information between the board, the members and their management team.
Where you have an organised group of people, such as a residential estate community, co-existing within a common environment according to certain agreed guidelines, effective and efficient communication is essential.
Solar power is reliable and renewable, and it will give you a powerful return on your investment. We look at how it works and why you will want to invest in a solar power system for your home.